If you are like me, you have a habit of putting everybody first and forget to take care of you. But if we don’t take care of ourselves we are no good to anyone else. It’s just like when the airline flight attendant says that when a crash is happening, we have to put on our oxygen mask first before we can help everyone else put theirs on.
Easier said than done, right?
I queried a few of my friends from my Bariatric group and this is what they had to say:
TK said, “True happiness comes from within and giving to others helps you.”
PP mentioned self confidence and finding purpose and drive.
DS said, “Self Care has changed my life and improved my relationship with me, my family, my co-workers and most of my health.”
NP said, “Personal Development, self-love, being kind to ourselves. We need to break our stinkin thinkin.”
KH noted, “We can really be our own worst enemy”.
LG mentioned self-forgiveness and how after surgery we can no longer eat our emotions.
Talk about great info! One common theme that kept coming into my head is the need for us to treat ourselves kindly.
Here are a few ways we can start today with self-Care and being nice to numero uno.
1. Pause. Throughout the day take little moments to pause. I dare you to do it. Take 60 seconds and do some relaxing breathing or pray. Allow your mind to clear and while you are taking this moment push out any negativity.
2. Stop saying yes! Do you say yes to everything? Stop it! Did you know that saying no is healthy? If we overcommit to everything we stretch ourselves too thin. Saying no allows us to give more quality of ourselves than quantity. Commit to saying NO in 2019. It’s okay to not be perfect.
3. Give to others. This doesn’t mean you start saying yes to everything. What this means is maybe you take back someone’s cart for them when at the store. Or maybe you see a mom in a store struggling with her kids and you tell her she is doing a good job.
4. We need to stop saying such mean things to ourselves. We are good enough. We are beautiful. We are loved. If we don’t believe these things, no one else will.
5. Don’t respond to negativity. We can stop toxic people and things in our lives by simply deciding to not give it any energy. This past year I ended two toxic friendships. There was no argument or conflict- I simply just no longer spoke to those people. It lifted such a weight off my shoulders. We can choose to not give life to negativity.
These are just a few ways to take care of ourselves and make our health a priority. Make this year the year of YOU and put that oxygen mask on first before you put it on everyone else.
Looking to improve your exercise for 2019? 💪🏻This changed my health and greatly contributed to my weight loss success (lost fat and gained muscle!). Click here for info.👊🏻
Need a 2019 weight loss “jump start”? I do this 3-day cleanse at least once a year! The quality is fantastic!